Tuesday, April 14, 2009

NHL Playoffs 2009!

Tomorrow marks day one of the Nhl playoffs, and while I'm no pro, I will go out on a limb and make my predictions.

Lets start with the East

1 Boston vs 8 Montreal

Oh man. My team that I root for day in and day out is the Montreal Canadiens, and boy, this won't be easy. Boston has size, skill and speed, a pretty solid d and a heck of a goalie in Thomas, but Montreal is Montreal, and I can't rule them out. Last year, it was total reverse and Boston put up a pretty good fight, which I think Montreal can do this year.
Montreal in 7

2 Washington vs 7 NY Rangers
This seems like the easiest series to pick out of the east. Washington has tons of skill up front and will use last year's playoff run as experience to improve on this years version. The only way the Rangers win is if Lundqvist steals 4 games for them.
Washington in 5

3 New Jersey vs 6 Carolina
This is a tough series to pick because you have to wonder what team shows up for the Devils. Carolina is on a huge roll and will keep rolling into the playoffs, riding on the back of Cam Ward, who has played pretty good in the last bit of the season and already has a Cup. However, the Devils do have the best goalie in the game, and have a pretty potent offense up front. This series could go either way
Carolina in 6

4 Pittsburgh vs 5 Philly
Huge battle! Huge! I like both teams, and as always, I look towards the goaltending. Both have inexperience goalies who only really have one good year under their belts. Although Pitts have both Crosby and Malkin, Philly just seems to have more scorers and play a more phyiscal game that is required in the playoffs
Philly in 7